Sherburn in Elmet Community Trust
Media Relations Policy
Sherburn in Elmet Community Trust (SIECT) is committed to the provision of accurate information in respect of its functions, decisions and actions. SIECT may communicate with those whose work involves gathering material for editorial publication in print, broadcast and electronic form (“the media”). Where information is not available via SIECT’s published documents, SIECT shall endeavour to assist the media with enquiries about SIECT’s functions, decisions and actions.
The purpose of this policy is:
To establish a framework for achieving an effective working relationship with the media.
To ensure that the views and policies of SIECT are presented accurately.
To clarify who is authorised to speak on behalf of SIECT.
To provide guidance for Trustees, Volunteers and Staff on how to deal with some of the practical issues that may arise when dealing with the Press and Media.
To ensure consistency in SIECT’s dealings with the Press and Media.
To ensure that all elements of the Press and Media will be treated equally.
Press releases / approaches made to/from the Press / Media
- No announcement or statement is issued to the media without approval from the SIECT sub-committee delegated to perform this task (current members are Paul Doherty, Karen Packham and Andrew Potts).
- Press releases may be issued proactively to alert the media to a potential story, provide important public information or to explain SIECT’s position on a particular issue.
- Volunteers and employees must not communicate with the news media on any matter relating to the Trust, the Library or the Old Girls’ School;
- A response to any allegations made via the news media is provided to the media only by the Trust Chairman or by someone authorised by the Chairman to speak to journalists on the Trust’s behalf and with adequate briefing;
- In the event that a journalist visits the Library or Old Girls School and requests information on any topic, the duty team leader must not provide any information but should courteously advise the journalist to contact the Trust Chairman providing contact details.
- Facebook and other social networking sites provide the opportunity to issue information quickly. SIECT have a separate Social Media policy (in preparation).
Policy adopted by SIECT Trustee Meeting held 6th August 2018