In partnership with Sherburn in Elmet Parish Council, it is the intention to establish a Community Hub at Sherburn & Villages Community Library, providing a one stop shop for administration and co-ordination of all Parish, District, County and voluntary group services in the local area.
It is anticipated that a help desk will be located at the entrance to the library, separate to the library function, and administrative back-up will be provided by a Community Development Manager (employed by the Parish Council).
It is envisaged that the hub will include the following services:
- Interface with the Old Girls’ School, including room booking.
- Access to District and County Council Services.
- Bookings for Community Bus
- Co-ordination of volunteers for various services e.g. Youth services, elderly, community café, charity shops, library, police, possibly High School leisure facilities.
- Information for visitors to Sherburn in Elmet and nearby – where to stay, facilities, things to do
- Points of interest – interface with Local History Society, All Saints Church, Towton Battle Field Society.
- Welcome Information for new residents.
- Maintenance and publication of a diary of events happening in Sherburn to minimise clashes.
- Interface with Sherburn Informer community magazine.
- Liaison with Citizen Advice Bureau and other voluntary organisations.
Facilities are already provided within the building for:
- Community Development Manager, Anne Marie Oldroyd
- Community Officers of the District Council.
- office space for the Sherburn Visiting Scheme.
The provision of a Community Hub is consistent with the aims of the District and County Council initiative ‘Better Together’. This provides the opportunity for the Trust to apply for funding to facilitate the work needed create the hub at the library.